Thursday, October 14, 2010

George W. and Scuffed Shoes

This post is a week late, but better late than never! Last Thursday, I got the opportunity to attend the University of Mobile's Leadership Banquet. The set-up was beautiful, and the turn out was great. It was all wonderful...especially the speaker.

George W. Bush.

I'm officially a big fan. I already was, but this up-ed his stats in my heart. He was funny, entertaining, down to earth, and all other good things. I did not get to meet him...He ate at the table front and center, and I ate at the table FAR back and WAY to the left. I was in the same room with him, however, so that's good enough for me. Although I did not get to meet him, I was able to get close to his table...

Yes...my hand was on his place setting. Here's a closeup...
Yes it kind of looks like George W. Blush, but I promise it's Bush. 

Anyhow, picking out my outfit for my first experience of being in the room with a former president was quite a dilemma. First, I had to pick out my outfit several days in advance. For anyone who knows me well, you know I had a hard time with that. I firmly believe that it is my "prerogative" to change my mind...at least that's what I'm told. I picked out my outfit at school, and then realized my closed toed black pumps were at home....dun dun duuun. Fortunately, I went home for Sony Star class last Tuesday, so I was able to get them then. However, there were a lot more beat up than I remembered...(Mom, have you been using and abusing my pumps?!) 


See, I've had these pumps since my senior year of high school. I got them for Homecoming...let's reminisce, shall we? :)
 Notice the shine of my shoes...oooh...ahhh...shiny...

You can't see my shoes here, but I just like this picture with my Daddio.

Back to the shoes...
As you can see they're pretty scuffed up...

What's a girl to do?! 10:45 PM the night before the banquet...no shoe polish...no time the next day to buy any...quite the dilemma...

Naturally I did what any girl would do in such a situation...I got out my black Sharpie.

Yes...I colored in my black pumps. I had to do something! I was going to be in the same room with George W!


Before


After
 Granted, they do have a purple/bluish tint where the sharpie was, when you're standing up, no one can tell...

Good as new!
Now, in my family we like to make fun of each other because we pick the most random times to do things. For instance, changing the pictures in picture frames 5 minutes before we're supposed to leave for Wesley's college graduation. I, however, did not pick a random time to fix my shoes. I chose a time when I should have been doing something else. Something important. Something that was due at 12 that night. Something called homework.

I began my homework at 11:25, thinking it would only take me 10 minutes based on past experience with that class...WRONG! A friend came in at 11:48 and started talking to me, and I never looked up from the computer or quit typing. So I finally finished at 11:52...with time to spare!


I've been told I'm like a vegetable cooker...I work better under pressure...:) Ironically enough, I'm now off to do a project that I've been putting off for 3 days...I'm going to plan a music field trip...oh the fun projects of a Music Ed major!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have totally sharpied my suffed shoes before too. Congrats on being in the same room as Bush! That's so awesome!!!! :)