Monday, March 19, 2007

Settling?...

I'm the kind of person that is pretty laid back, go with the flow, easy going. Sure, I get mad, or upset sometimes. But when it comes to making choices and decisions, my personal philosophy is if it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter, and shouldn't be made a big deal. For example, what resturant to eat at, what store to shop at for prom dresses, what flavor tooth paste to get...etc. I usually just pick something and I am perfectly content with it. Sometimes I settle for whatever's convenient and easy, even if there's something I'd like better.
The drawback is that sometimes this content attitude in the little things pours over into the big things. Things that determine my future.

Last summer, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. So I started praying hard and digging in the Word. I considered psychology, early childhood education, and music. The more I prayed and read, the more I felt God calling me to go into music at the University of Mobile. I don't know why. Music is definitely one of my passions, so I decided that I would take a step of faith and trust God to use me however He would.

Well lately I've been wondering if that's really where I'm supposed to go. Maybe I'd be happier staying in Headland and going to Wallace. I'm sure God could used me here too. I was thinking about that today, and it occurred to me that I just settling. Not that Wallace is bad, or the people that go there are settling for mediocrity. But for me personally, I think that by staying here, I would be missing out on some of what God has for me. It's a test of my faith. I know it's not going to be easy leaving home, meeting new people, changing life completely. But that's where God comes in. He's my comforter.

So that's what I'm going to do. I don't know what the future holds for me. I don't know what I'm going to be when I grow up, or who I'm going to marry, or where I'm going to live. but I know that God will take care of me and guide me if I seek his will.

"We can make our plans,
But the Lord determines our steps."
-Proverbs 16:9

No comments: