Saturday, January 15, 2011

Confessions of the Complexity of a Twenty-something Year Old

Thursday night before I went to bed, I saw on Facebook that Old Navy was having 40% off on their already reduced clearance stuff. I, being the "bargainista" that I am, had to check it out just to make sure I didn't miss out on anything amazing.

After school, I headed on over to Old Navy. I walked straight to the clearance items, picked up anything cute I saw in my size, and went to the dressing room. I tried on 3 pairs of jeans because I've gotten clearance jeans at ON for 8 dollars or less in the past. However, they hugged all the wrong places and were about 6 inches too long. I was actually relieved...I didn't need to buy jeans anyways!

I tried on 3 shirts, all of which fit and were around $4 a piece. They went into my "yes pile." I also tried on a skirt that was a strange color of purplish grey. I had decided not to get it because I didn't know what I'd wear with it, but then I reminded myself it was "only $5" (as Emily Bass and I always say). Thus, I changed my mind, put it in my "yes pile", and took it home to see if I had anything to wear with it.

The last thing I saw when I was making my final sweep around was a pair of capris for $7. They were regular length so I figured they'd be just right as straight jeans on me...why not try them? They were only $7!

I checked out and headed home. On my way home I had an epiphany. As you can tell by my previous posts about decisions, I'm an indecisive person. I'm a very careful decision maker. I consider all the possible outcomes and over-analyze the situation to death before I make a decision. EXCEPT when it comes to clothing. I'm an impulse buyer. I get chastised at Christmas time because if I see something I like, I just buy it for myself instead of telling someone I want it.  When you put impulse buyer with bargain shopper, it can be a dangerous combination. ESPECIALLY if something is "only $5!"

I also realized that while I'm a planner and feel better when Vera (my Vera Bradley planner) is by my side, I'm an intense procrastinator. My motto is "why do it today if you can do it tomorrow?" I work better under pressure anyways. Maybe it's that I always procrastinate so I force myself to work well under pressure...I don't know. Another realization was that while I like to be organized and clean, my room and car are terribly unorganized and messy. I like to call it organized chaos. I know where things are, but no one else can find it. Why am I so complicated?! I confuse myself.

I don't have any explanations or solutions to my complexity. The only thing I have is thankfulness to the Lord that he takes my complex mess of a life and understands all the complexities that even I don't understand about myself.

Back to my shopping spree. I got home and showed my dad all my deals...since he was dying to see them all, I know. (That's another complexity...even when I know the males in my family don't care about the clothes I get or the cute things I make, I show them anyways...) As I was pulling out my super awesome deals I noticed a couple things. 1) I got a shirt in XL when I meant to get it in M. 2) The capris I got were ACTUALLY skinny jeans. I have never in my life worn skinny jeans. Not only were they skinny jeans, but they have dark blue sequins all the way down the side...I'm not one for sequins, especially on my jeans. Especially if they're skinny jeans...If I'm wearing skinny jeans I don't want anything else on them that might add extra attention. I immediately put it in my "take back pile", along with the XL shirt and purplish grey skirt that I couldn't find anything to go with.

However, I had to model my clothes for my parentals, so I put on the jeans. At first, I almost threw up in my mouth. "No way, Jose." I said to myself. Then I put on a shirt I got for 3 dollars. The jeans grew on me with the longer shirt. I put some flats on to complete the look. I actually liked it. WHAT?!!? Sequined, skinny jeans?!?! Yeh, I still can't believe it myself. They're now in my "keep pile".

My, oh my. How complex I am.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha! That is too funny! I think all girls are complex...our poor men!

Unknown said...

So true! I told Wesley last night that I never expect him to understand me because I don't understand myself!